You do not buy garage doors every day, so you may not be aware of how to research before making a purchase. First, you should treat a garage door like any other major purchase. How would you shop for a car? You would look for reviews online, ask family and friends for a reputable dealer, and so on. What about after you have done that? When it is time to actually visit the dealer and ask them questions face-to-face, what should you do?
Learn about the company first
Reputable companies will usually be happy to tell you about their business because it may differentiate them from the competition.
Ask them questions such as:
- When did you start your business?
- Are you licensed and insured?
- Do you have a showroom or office where I can visit you and see your products for myself?
Ask them to share references
Again, reputable companies will be happy to share references. They may even provide them before you ask. They will provide names or addresses of past projects in the area so that you can see their work for yourself and even talk to past clients. Ideally, the company will have already worked in your neighborhood. If it is more convenient, you can just ask them to supply photos of past work.
If at all possible, you should contact at least one of the references to see if they can provide insight into the quality of the company’s work.
Ask about their warranties
The company should provide warranties on the installation work and on the door itself. This coverage should include the electric garage door opener (if applicable).
They should be able to give you this information in writing so that you can study it before agreeing to the installation.
You should also get one other piece of literature from them: a maintenance and safety manual for your door and all its components.
Are they asking you the right questions?
- Did they ask for your measurement requirements?
- What about the amount of money that you want to spend on the project?
- Did they ask about the design style of your house and promise to match the garage door?
- What brand of products did they present? Can you research this brand online?
- Did they ask questions about your requirements as far as functionality and features?
- Did they direct you to a design center where you can see a virtual picture of your prospective door? Did this computerized tool allow you to upload a picture of your own house so that you could superimpose the door onto it?
- Did they offer multiple options with different combinations of prices and features?
- Do their price quotes include labor costs and equipment costs?
This article will help you learn about any technical questions you could ask.
It’s time to make contact
By actively asking questions, you are working to build trust with the dealer. Good dealers will recognize this and work to help answer all your questions, no matter how simple.
When you have your questions ready, you can contact us at (506) 450‑3031. We are confident that we have the knowledge to answer all your questions.
You can also request a quotation online, and then visit our design center and image gallery to get an idea of the design options and features we offer.