Whether you are actually about to list your home for sale or simply looking for a way to boost curb appeal, you need to look at the exterior of the property. While it’s true that the interior matters the most, there is a lot to be said for first impressions. One way to ensure the best is to focus some time and attention on the outside of the home – including the garage.
Garages have value
Whether attached or free standing, the garage is part of the "façade" of the home and will play a role in whether or not a potential buyer is interested. The home with a less than stellar exterior is unlikely to grab the interest of many buyers, and simply improving the looks of doors and windows (including garage doors) really helps. Since the door takes up around 45% of the width of the front of the home, improving it will yield great results.
Put yourself in the place of a potential buyer – they drive up and see the outside of the home first. If the garage door looks shabby or fails to work right, it say that the rest of the home is likely going to be the same. If inside of the garage is a mess and untidy, it says that the home is likely to be too.
That’s why you will want to use the following tips to improve your chances of selling at the price you want:
- Remodel the garage – Don’t leave it unfinished and commit time and resources to installing drywall, insulation and even painting the floors. Add good lighting and make it as visually appealing as you can.
- Give it some paint – Paint inside and outside of the garage to spruce it up easily.
- Organize and eliminate clutter – Take time to sort everything, tossing out or giving away what is unneeded. Then reorganize and tidy it all up, even hanging bicycles, gardening tools, and sports items) and adding cabinets for everything else. This creates a sense of space and makes the garage more appealing.
- What about the garage door? – Be sure the garage door opener works correctly. Check to see it doesn’t make too much noise or need a repair. Hire experts to inspect it and do a tune up and turn to garage door repair specialists to make sure the whole system works as it should.
- Update if needed – If your garage door is giving the home a run down look – update it by replacing it. This is an affordable tactic and offers a high ROI.
Call the Garaga garage door specialists
Get in touch with our professionals when you want a new door or to have repairs made. Our team can advise you and suggest many models in steel or aluminum. You can also save time by using our online Design Centre to test the possible replacement doors for your home.